Monday, August 6, 2007

The Situation Gets Out Of Hand

Please - before you read this or after you read it or whatever- read Esmie's blog - which is linked in my profile on the right. He has already posted about this and what he says is right on the money - as always. See Esmie's post - "This is getting out of control!!" on August 4. (Gabe gives Esmie a big smile and a kiss.)

Voice is a wonderful thing - and of course SL has to roll it out - new technology is always important. But there are places where Voice Chat causes people to feel left out, and there Voice should not be the norm.

There are lots of reasons why people might not want to do Voice - perhaps, as has happened, some people are hearing impaired, and listening to voice is not possible for them or confusing. They are then not part of conversations which are taking place, and that is wrong.

Perhaps someone doesn't speak English very well, or understand spoken English, but does well with written English understanding and the time to type something that conveys their meaning.

Perhaps someone just doesn't want to cross the RL/SL barrier and wants to be able to continue to chat as we always have.

There are dozens of reasons.

The bottom line is that some places need to be places for everyone to be equal - and Boots' Beach is and was one. And there is no one - not a single one of the people that Esmie talks about - who doesn't owe at least a part of his life - his SL - to Boots and Shawn.

Who was there when you were a Newbie - Boots and Shawn and the Bums. Who was there when you broke up your first SL relationship - Boots and Shawn and the Bums. Who was there when you needed to know how to buy land, or rent a house, or fly, or rez an object - Boots and Shawn and the Bums.

But - the glittering crowd has no memory for relationships - they have only the pleasure of their immediate moment in the sun - in the spotlight.

Sorry guys, your voices aren't so sweet that they make me cum when I hear them. And your comments to my friends are so nasty and repulsive that I don't know what to say.

There are ways to make a point, and there are ways not to make a point.

You chose to get on the wrong bus. Your points were made in an abusive way - you have no right to tell Boots and Shawn what to do on their own land or to say nasty things to our friends.

You want to go off and do your thing - do it quietly. Not abusively. You have said things - not all of you but many of you - that have hurt people I love. That's not ok.

Do you owe the Bums an apology. You Bet!!

Will you offer it - who knows.

Is the beach suffering because you left (some people actually told Boots and Shawn that their departure would destroy the beach) - not a bit.

It- the beach - is like it used to be - quiet and comfortable and a fun place for old friends to welcome newcomers.

Sorry guys - I am afraid I don't think you chose well - I don't think you acted responsibly or nicely - and in the end - that is a shame.

Isn't there enough of this "In Crowd" vs "Out Crowd" in RL? Did we really need to import it into SL? Is that what we are paying monthly access and tier for - for this crap?

To all my friends at Boots - to Boots and Shawn and the Bums - all of you

smoooooooooochhhhhhhh

1 comment:

Mak said...

When you told me about this, I was pretty shocked. I hoped at first that the person who told Jamie he should wear a badge saying "Deaf - Please Type" had just had a momentary breakdown in taste and judgement, but his subsequent activities - and those of the rest of what Gabe calls the "in-crowd" suggests that's not the case. It all sounds a bit high school-y to me.

I am one of those that prefers to type. I have been using chat rooms for as long as I've been online (about 10 years, I suppose), and typing feels natural to me. Plus I hate the sound of my voice. Plus it just feels too personal - it crosses a boundary for me. Plus I wouldn't be able to speak freely because I share a flat with my RL girlfriend. I would use voice if there was no other option, but *shrugs*

I miss Boots Beach. I think I will ask Simon if he wants to go down and hang out there next time we have time. Do you wanna come too, babe?