Saturday, June 16, 2007

Gay Pride 2007 - too much politics?

Well - it seems that there are fights at the moment over who can do what to celebrate Gay Pride with the "official celebration" in Second Life. I suppose it is the same everywhere - who has the parade permit - who has the rights to the name - who controls the content.

Oh??

We now have the Church of Gay Pride? The Elders of the Church will give their Imprimatur? We have Cardinals and the Pope? We have pronouncements Ex-cathedra? We have a loyalty oath and a loyalty council? We have a test of blood?

I didn't think we did - so let me say this -

You don't have to be in church to pray. If God hears, he hears everywhere and everything.

All who wish to celebrate Gay Pride should celebrate by being proud - proud of themselves for being gay - proud of a friend or a child or a brother or a sister or anyone for being themselves. Proud of another for supporting Gay brothers and sisters and supporting human freedom and human rights.

We were subject to so many litmus tests - to determine if we were really gay. We were ostracized, rejected, jailed, killed for showing up gay. Now we have our own litmus tests?

My goodness - does EVERYTHING become its own worst enemy?

March if you choose to march - shout if you choose to shout - but don't put up walls and don't put up gates.

Open the doors - and let all the people in.

Be Gay and Proud or Proud of your Gay Friends but join - and do - what it is in your heart to do.

1 comment:

Mak said...

Any sort of "pride" feels strange to me. I mean I understand why people who have suffered/are suffering prejudice want to express their feelings in this way, but it just feels a bit strange to me. Maybe it is my English reserve. I walked from Selfridges on Oxford Street to the South Bank of the Thames on one Saturday a month or so ago, and passed/was held up by 5 different groups of people expressing their pride in their culture: Palestinians, rappers, nudists, Christians, Orangemen. It got a bit tiresome. And it sort of makes me feel left out, too. It's divisive, in a world where we should be finding things we have in common. I guess I could go and start a movement for bisexual/bicurious English/Asian blokes suffering from mild racial stereotyping and abuse-related PTSD. Do you think anyone would join?